How To Open Zip Files In Windows 7 & 8
How to Open a File in Windows
There are several ways to open a file on your computer. You can open files while working in a specific program. Alternatively, you can go to the "Documents" folder in your "Start" menu to find a list of most of the text and data files stored on your computer. You may also come across files you need to open that fall outside of these parameters. Follow the steps below to open files on a computer with a Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system.
Open a File with the Program that Created It
Access the program you need to use and then open it.
- Windows systems give users the option of saving shortcuts on the Windows Desktop, providing easy access to the programs. The newly installed programs will also be listed under "All Programs" in the Start menu.
- Click on the program you want to open.
Access the file you want to open by selecting "File" and "Open" from the program's main menu or file menu."Open" may also be listed on a toolbar across the top of the program.
- Select the file you want to open from a pop-up window or list.
- Click on "Browse" in the pop-up window if the file is not shown in the list. This allows you to search for, and select, the program you want to open from other folders on your computer. Click "Open" or "Ok" when you've found your file.
Open a File from the Documents Directory or your Desktop
Click on the word "Documents" on right side of the "Start" menu.This will give you access to the "Documents Library" file list.
Select the file you want to open by double clicking the file name.
- This will load the program the file was created in and give you access to the file.
- You can also open a file with another program by right-clicking on the file name that's in the Documents Directory or sitting on the Windows Desktop. This gives you access to a pop-up menu. Select "Open With" to see a list of programs that will open the file.
Open a File Without a Program
Go to Open With at www.openwith.org on the Internet and download one of many free programs designed to open these files.
Browse the Internet for a free reader that relates to the software you need to open the file.
Open Compressed Files
Access the document through the program used to compress it.
Install a program that will open a compressed file, such as Win-Zip or 7-Zip.Programs of this type are either free or require a fee after a trial period.
Open self-extracting compressed files by simply clicking on them.
QuestionWhat is the difference between logging off and shutting down a computer?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThey both log you out of your account, but only shutting it down properly turns off the PC. Logging out will not turn the computer off, you will be given the option to sign into another account.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I create a folder for documents?Top AnswererOn a Windows PC, just right-click anywhere on the desktop, select New, then select Folder. You can then give your new folder a name.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I open a document?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can double click on any file that has a preset opener to open it.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I open an email attachment with a GZ file?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat's an archive file format: install Winzip and open the file with Winzip.Thanks!
Using WINDOWS 10, when I open a folder which contains a folder, another panel is displayed. How can I set WINDOWS to overlay the previous display panel with the new panel?
Emptying the Recycle bin frees up what on a computer?
How can I easily open a file in Windows 10?
What do I do if there is no program associated to perform the requested action for a file?
How do I remove the open files from my PC?
- Free reader programs will work as well as the original software to open files.
- A file sent to you via email will open when you double-click it, if the appropriate program has been installed on your computer.
Video: Windows Command Line Tutorial - 3 - Opening Files and History
3 Drinks You Should Always Avoid On A Hot Day
25 Healthy, Protein-Packed Shrimp Recipes
70 Tarantula Tattoo Designs For Men – Spider Ink Ideas
4 Things That Happened When I Started Eating Dessert Every Day
How to Get Glowing Skin in Just One Week
Blast Fat (And Boredom) With This Treadmill Workout
In Trump era, anger toward news media spreads into local communities
11 Fascinating Facts About October Babies
Are You at Risk for Fibromyalgia
Anthony Vaccarello Ends Eponymous Brand to Focus on Saint Laurent
How to get a workplace spouse
Toys and Games for Children With Autism
How to Resolve a Conflict at Work